What is the WWCC?
The Writers Workshop Consultants Committee (WWCC) is a rotating student committee made up of 3 to 5 undergraduate and graduate Writers Workshop consultants. The committee provides a diverse and intersectional perspective on policy issues and seeks to enrich the WW through community and collaboration. Currently, the WWCC aims to be impactful in three key ways:
1) Strengthening communication and outreach through WW policy revisions, branding, social media, writing communities, and interdisciplinary relationships with campus units.
2) Enhancing the accessibility of Writers Workshop in-person and virtual services.
3) Collectively hosting a WW staff meeting on a mutually agreed upon subject with input from WW consultants and administration.
Current & past WWCC projects:
- Contributing to the Writers Workshop Staff Handbook on matters of policy and supporting writers with disabilities
- Facilitating undergraduate writing groups
- Designing and presenting staff meetings on topics including: supporting graduate writers with disabilities, motivational interviewing techniques
- Creating templates for UIUC instructors to include Writers Workshop services in their course pages and designing trainings for instructors on providing feedback and grading writing mechanics and techniques
- Spotlighting Writers Workshops consultants and providing writing advice on WW social media pages
- Designing a survey to match graduate students into self-run writing productivity groups
For consultants interested in joining the WWCC:
- Committee positions are filled on a yearly basis. Openings are announced via email by the WW administration.
- Applicants should be self-motivated, communicative, collaborative, flexible, team-oriented, creative, and committed to the WW’s goals and values.
- You must be a current consultant in the Workshop to apply.
- Four to five hours will be dedicated each month to committee obligations. Committee members meet monthly and work independently one hour per week throughout the semester. WWCC work hours are factored into consultants’ schedules.
For more information, please reach out to the WW administrative team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WWCC Members (past & current):
- Antonio Hamilton, August 2023 –
- Elizabeth Scherschel, August 2023 –
- Kirsten Jensen, August 2023 –
- Allison Carrington, September 2022 – May 2023
- Mackensi Crenshaw, January – May 2022
- Erin Grogan, January – May 2022
- Maha Kalota, January 2022 – May 2023
- Shefali Mehta, September – December 2022
- Tamia Miller, January – May 2022
- Elizabeth Schwartz, January 2022 – May 2023